Saturday, March 22, 2014

It Happened One Night- Journal #2

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening:

We discussed in class the beginning of film with sound.  After Charlie Chaplin's big silent films started to fade away, they started producing movies with sound, starting as a silent film with sound sequences because at this time the radio was very big.  Debuted in 1934, It Happened One Night, had sound and had two famous actors Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert.  It Happened One Night was successful with the use of synchronization and amplification, unlike the first few movies with sound due to muffled sound quality.  Microphone placement quality was enhanced. 

2) Find a related article and summarize the content:

http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/looking-back-at-it-happened-one-night

This article says that It Happened One Night was the ultimate romantic comedy. The fact that was discussed in class was that the sales of undershirt sales decreased after this movie came out because Clark Gable did not wear one.  Extremely interesting when you think of the role models to people in this world.  It says that not only was the movie interesting, but it was nice to look at.  The director had to shoot in very small places (bus, hotel room, etc.) and did it flawlessly. 

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class:

The article talks about the great romance in the movie and that looking back on it now really proves how great It Happened One Night was.  We forget with all of the movies around today the credit to be given to Frank Capra for the joy that is brought to people when watching this movie.  Many (if not all) people wanted to feel the love that Gable and Colbert displayed.  It was truly a joy to watch with all of the innocence, yet hidden erotic gestures made.  

4) Write a critical analysis of the film:

Personally, watching this film had me laughing and smiling.  Sometimes, I caught myself in shock when hearing the way the actors in the movie interacted with each other with Gable being very dominant and controlling.  I forget that it was in 1934 and the roles they were playing with the dominance and him "running the show", was normal then.  Once I understood that times are now very different then they were then, I understood a lot.  The film showed a great romance yet did a great job of having the comedic aspect to it.  It had me wanting them to be together and wondering greatly what was happening next.  I did not live in the 30's, yet I feel like it was sort of an unrealistic plot.  Meeting a stranger on a bus and spending the same night in a hotel room with him is not realistic to me.  But it did keep me engaged and laughing.  I am really a sucker for romantic movies.   


    (x) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.
    (x) If I reused any information from other papers I have writing for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper
3(x) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.
4(x) I have not padded the bibliography.  I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
5(x) I have cited in the bibliography.  I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
6(x) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way.  I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography
7(x) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.
9(x) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: Laura Mazzola_________________________ Date: 3/22/14_________





No comments:

Post a Comment