Monday, March 31, 2014

Stagecoach Entry # 3

1) Relate what was discussed in class to the screening:

In class we discussed the "Monument Valley" which is where stage coach was filmed.  Many films were shot there because of the scenery and the openness.  The view is also amazing.  We also discussed old western movies and John Wayne.  Stagecoach made John Wayne's career really take off.  This movie was also John Ford's first western movie with sound.

2)  Find a related article and summarize the content:

http://www.filmsite.org/stagec.html
This article gives a brief overview of the movie and it also gives a review of the movie.  It discusses Ford's career and how the movie Stagecoach was nothing but a positive asset to his career.  Stagecoach made his career very successful and made him a lot of money.  Stagecoach was nominated for seven Academy Awards for its quality.

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class:

The article states that the sophistication in this film is outstanding, which you can see when watching.  It was very classy and all the characters had a level of sophistication, but not necessarily perfect.  It also discusses how John Wayne was played such a great role in this film.  It says that Stagecoach helped reinvent western movies and could get people to enjoy them more, which since it had such great reviews and was nominated for seven Academy Awards, it proves that it did.

4) Give a critical analysis of the film:

Considering I am not a fan of old western movies, I was actually surprised that I liked this one.  I absolutely loved the love story in it and of course, that kept me actively engaged.  The humor throughout the movie with the Doctor was very entertaining but I wish that they made it more clear what the fuss was between the two women were.  If someone was coming into the movie a little late, they may not have understood why there was so much tension.  Overall, John Wayne was very entertaining and not hard on the eyes, either.


 (x) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.
    (x) If I reused any information from other papers I have writing for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper
3(x) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.
4(x) I have not padded the bibliography.  I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
5(x) I have cited in the bibliography.  I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
6(x) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way.  I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography
7(x) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.
9(x) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: Laura Mazzola_________________________ Date: 3/31/14_________













No comments:

Post a Comment