Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Graduate

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening:

In class we talked about the more risky sexual content in The Graduate and how it differed from the movies we watched from the start of the semester.  We also discussed that the camera shots and movements in the film and how they are obvious to the viewer and also how the sound can overlap from one scene to another.  The Graduate is a movie of modern expressionist.  Dramatic changes in time, long lenses, etc., also the movie is supposed to be an artistic expression.

2) Find a related article and summarize the content:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/03/graduate200803

This article talks about the making of the movie.  The article explains that the director, Mike Nichols, knew who his characters were going to be, or so he thought he did.  He ended up surprising himself by choosing Dustin Hoffman, who was a "little-known Jewish stage actor" and was not the person he had in mind.  It also says that The Graduate was based off of a novel written by Charles Webb.  It briefly gives a synopsis of the movie and the character's in it and focuses a lot on the actors that Mike Nichols chose.

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class:

The article explains that Mike Nichols was used to directing things for Broadway and that the book was funny, but Nichols direction in the film felt like "hand-in-glove fit to me".  The book was not as nearly of a success as the movie.  The movie's humor was subtle and was able to make you laugh, and had you intrigued the entire time.

4) Give a critical analysis of the film:

The Graduate was my favorite movie we have watched so far this semester.  The humor and innocence portrayed by Hoffman was nice to watch.  I felt this movie was more modern than the one's we have watched and was definitely more my style.  Not a normal plot like every other movie, and also a love story to keep us entertained when the affair grew out of interest.  They did a good job of not dragging out certain parts either.  Like knowing when it was a good time to cut off the affair and begin to chase her.  All in all, the movie had me entertained the entire time and I would watch it again.

(x)  I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

    (x) If I reused any information from other papers I have writing for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper
3(x) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.
4(x) I have not padded the bibliography.  I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
5(x) I have cited in the bibliography.  I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
6(x) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way.  I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography
7(x) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.
9(x) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: Laura Mazzola_________________________ Date: 5/4/14_________





No comments:

Post a Comment